Belfast Community Circus School has been running a session for adults every Wednesday night for the past ten years. This session caters for a mixture of professionals and hobbyists.
The class operates as a structured session comprising of: games, a warm up, one hours tuition (for example juggling, acrobatics or trapeze), conditioning and cool down, with juice and biscuits to finish. It is not compulsory to partake in the hour’s tuition, and this allows people of differing skill levels the freedom to make use of the class. Please wear clothing in which it's easy to move.
Adult Circus - Wednesdays - 7.30pm -9.30pm
Classes receive an element of subsidy from Arts Council of Northern Ireland and Belfast City Council, but we ask for a suggested donation of £8 per two hour session to help cover costs (£6 concession)
ADULT CIRCUS TIMETABLE
05/09/18 E&M and Tumbling
12/09/18 E&M and Tumbling
19/09/18 Intermediate Rope and Tumbling
26/09/18 Intermediate Rope and Tightwire
03/10/18 Intermediate Rope and Tightwire
10/10/18 Beginner Trapeze and Tightwire
17/10/18 Beginner Trapeze and Partner Acrobatics
24/10/18 Beginner Trapeze and Partner Acrobatics
31/10/18 <<< CLOSED for Halloween >>>
07/11/18 Beginner Silk and Pole
14/11/18 Tightwire and Pole
21/11/18 Tightwire and Pole
28/11/18 Intermediate Trapeze and Handstands
05/12/18 Intermediate Trapeze and Handstands
12/12/18 Beginner Silk and Tumbling
19/12/18 Beginner Silk and Tumbling
26/12/18 <<<<<< CLOSED for Christmas >>>>>>
02/01/19 <<<<<< CLOSED for New Year's >>>>>
Except where marked as 'beginners trapeze', aerial skills are for those with previous aerial experience, for safety reasons.
At the moment Adult Circus is very popular. Due to Health and Safety regulations and our ‘open door’ policy, we may have to turn people away, if there are too many people who turn up on the evening. In this event, we will give preference to our members over non-members.
Membership costs £15 per year for an individual or £20 for a family.
Our guys represented Belfast Circus with fellow youth circus members from CIRQUEON, Cirkus in Beweging , Fuskabo, Galway Community Circus and Zaltimbanq' Zirkus.
Over these days, they shared skills, language and cultures as well as creating a full blown show - We love our circus family, and we can't wait so go back!
Special thanks to the sponsors of this trip for allowing it all to happen:
Erasmus+, Léargas, Irish Street Arts, Circus & Spectacle Network, Arts Council Ireland, Galway City Arts Service, Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture
A Letter From an Old Fool (of Festival)
This is my last day as Interim Director of Belfast Circus. Although I’ve completed my tenure I’m still leaving with a sense of regret that I’m unable to see the job finished with the appointment of a new CEO. Nevertheless, that recruitment search continues, getting the right leader is vital.
I’ve really enjoyed my time with Circus and have a deep appreciation and respect for the dedication of our artists, performers and tutors. The staff team has been really supportive and, while challenges still lie ahead, I’m confident that when we work together we can achieve so much. Here is a small reminder of progress made over the last 7 months.
• We recruited 4 new members of staff, Georgia, Noeleen, Hillas and Eimear all of whom have added to the team’s work ethic.
• Our outreach officers have got our outreach work back on track and are developing exciting new partnerships to ensure delivery in future.
• We’ve greatly improved our safeguarding with additional training, Access NI checking, professional practice reviewing & developing new policies.
• We’ve successfully applied for core & programme funding from ACNI & Lottery Funding for Festival of Fools. We brought in additional income from sponsors for Festival and almost doubled our income from our audience.
• We’ve raised grants from Belfast City Council, from TBUC, the EA & most recently won a tender with East Antrim Council.
• Together we delivered a great Festival of Fools, a fitting tribute to its founder, our own Will Chamberlain.
• We’ve begun a European project in partnership with 4 other arts organisations which will culminate in more performances at FoF 2020
• Premiere Circus has increased its overall bookings & we’re planning a marketing event for commissioners in September.
• We’re running more classes across our venues than ever before and making more skills training available in St Martins.
• We’re developing a new strategic plan with Roger Courtney & stakeholders have had opportunities to feed into this.
• A new online finance system has been installed and a new finance administration system will be introduced to staff shortly.
• We’ve introduced new staff training and development opportunites.
• All our tutors, staff and performers can access free up to 6 sessions of counseling support with Inspire.
There is still much more to do to ensure an exciting future for Belfast Circus but I have every confidence that you will meet the challenges ahead.
I’ve prepared a handover document for my CO3 colleague and new Interim Director, Alan Hanna. I’ll endeavor to support Belfast Circus through this transition period. I’m off to shoot my first documentary next week so wish me luck.
I’d like to thank the Board for giving me the opportunity to lead the organization in transition. They give of their time freely and I know the significant additional hours they have been putting in of late.
Finally, I’d like to thank the parents, guardians and the young people of Belfast Circus. We are your faithful servants and seeing young people achieve and succeed is truly inspiring.
When we work together we are unbeatable.
Fergus Cooper OBE
Double Bill - SPIT and Cikada
We are so lucky to be surrounded by so many people of such great talents. We are even luckier to have the opportunity to host some of their work in progress!
Join us on Sunday 24th June, 7.30pm for a stunning display of acrobatics and daredevil antics.
Two acrobats create a world between the harmonious and the absurd. In this world, lines are blurred between human and nature. Ali Stanger and Henrik Gard create a mutual acrobatic language of finesse and honesty. A fun, thoughtful and humorous display of rich imagery and dynamic riveting movement.
Push hard, stand up, and spit back. Stop being hijacked by the consumer culture, by spectacle, by tits and teeth and nipple tassels. This show is a celebration of the fierce and wild. Brutality balanced by beauty. Circus that challenges set ideas of gender stereotypes and female expectations in society. A political and evocative one-woman circus.
These two acts will be demonstrating what they have created so far, on this exploration of physicality and brutal honesty. These pieces are works in progress, so come along and show your support. Plus, get an eye full of some amazing acts before they jet off on their French Tour!
Tickets are £5 and can be purchased on the door, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your space.
Roll up, Roll up! It has come to the time when we will be showcasing the immense talent of our students with our Youth Circus Cabaret!
We will be joined by members of In Your Space Circus, Streetwise Community Circus and Community Circus Lisburn. This cabaret will demonstrate the talent that young performers across Northern Ireland have to offer. These skilled young folk will be showcasing their immense talents, and demonstrating how circus can bring us all together!
This event is part of Circus250, celebrating 250 years since the beginning of life in the ring. This gives us the opportunity to highlight just how inclusive the circus family is!
Come along for an evening of circus madness on Sunday 25th February @ 5pm! Tickets cost £5, and are available to purchase online or by cash at our Gordon Street office.
Tickets will sell fast, so get yours while you can!